DEADLINE: Last date to receive applications: 23:59 (IST), 15th of April, 2020
Qualified candidates should send their CV along with a cover letter highlighting your suitability for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do mention the job code, BC_19_DOI in the subject line of your application. Any application received without the appropriate job code will not be considered. Given the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to all applicants and our responses are limited to those who are shortlisted. Download Job Description here.
Our global goal is to create societies that work for everyone, where no one is left behind and where those left out can find a pathway back to participation, belonging and productivity. To achieve this it becomes imperative to ensure that all our actions collectively move towards enabling rural communities to become self-sufficient. This driving force is at the heart of all our development initiatives. Decades of experience throughout the world has shown that the best, most effective and long- lasting way to steer positive development is to empower women.
At Barefoot College, ensuring that WOMEN can PROSPER, bringing along with them, their families and their communities, is what we do.
In India, our Solar Operations seek to ensure as many rural Women Prosper through the delivery of renewable energy provision in non electrified communities and the distribution of quality renewable energy products in last mile communities; by and through women. This includes a decisive knowledge transfer program aimed at developing secondary livelihoods for as many women as possible in rural communities through building agency and awareness, holistically.
Our Solar model is a ground-breaking systems change initiative that builds the capacity of rural women to Master technology, build skills towards financial inclusion which effectively deploy capital towards driving impacts for the environment, communities and women’s individual wealth and financial participation. This program seeks to bring together a unique holistic program of training, personal development, technology, marketing, and access to capital to scale the distribution of Renewable Energy products to 70% of the rural market in India. It allows for a smart subsidy for those at the very bottom of the pyramid to facilitate and meet “Access to Energy for All” targets in India on a community inclusion model. Simultaneously it looks to transform further communities by establishing a wide network of Solar Women Entrepreneurs able to build energy aspirations and wealth creation from better access to renewable energy products. To meet the energy aspirations of the rural poor, the women Solar Mamas and Entrepreneurs called Solar Sakhi will create their own markets and sales networks for Renewable Energy product distribution that will span mid-range to last mile communities. We aim to train 5,000 Solar Mamas and Sakhi who will distribute 100,000+ clean energy products most of which are fabricated and maintained by Rural Non-Formally Educated women in Barefoot’s unique training programs designed to cross the literally and learning barrier.There is a significant technology interface and financial technology design and inclusion which is projected to underpin this initiative.
The Director of Solar Operations, India, is a senior leadership role that will be responsible the next stage of program development, which is currently in mid stream. This is a highly entrepreneurial role and requires above average skills in complex thinking and strategy to bring together the remaining elements, ensuring strong operationalisation across multiple states. The most important responsibility of this position is to tie together through seamless execution, the various operational units which are responsible to delivering solar and other non educational projects across the country. A key deliverable for this post is completion of the Key Performance Indicators of the Solar Women Prosper Program within agreed time frames and budget.
The Director will oversee and coordinate across all program units such as Community Outreach, Product Development, Rural Marketing and M&E, while coordinating closely with the Head of ENRICHE Operations, to achieve the goals set forth for Solar operations. S/he will be responsible for visioning and building the needed Human Resource structures required to deliver and will play an integral role in both visioning and crafting strategic operational partnerships that will enable the model to succeed at scale.
The Director Solar Operations (India) will report directly to the CEO and will form a part of the Executive Management Team for India operations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Works with the CEO and other Heads of Program units to imbed the Solar Women Prosper models in the organizational ethos, strategy, business priorities and targets for all Program units. Communicating internally such that the entire organisation understands and supports this program.
- Generate ideas about future program activities to ensure that the strategic goals are attained through constant innovation; maintain up to date knowledge of the market place, competitors and trends.
- Use open feedback mechanisms with the Operations, Finance and Administration teams to ensure the integration of the WPI model in all India operations.
- Develop the annual budget, ensuring complete understanding and buy in from the operations team. Constantly review financial data and support the Program Managers in providing realistic input into the program budgets.
- Take decisions on matters relating to the day to day operations within their defined work area including the strategic planning of resources.
- Translate the strategic goals into operational plans to achieve the required targeted growth.
- Ensure that the India operation complies with all policies and procedures relating to Security, Health and Safety; influence any changes necessary to meet statutory requirements, ensuring minimum risk to staff members and the operations.
- Ensure all new proposals meet the required return on investment prior to submitting any recommendations to the CEO; all new program locations must be visited to ensure they meet the strategic objectives and meet the proposed budgets.
- Spend time with all stakeholders/Ground partners and Program Mangers to understand and identify business critical issues in order to ensure the alignment of tactics and strategies; maintain the organisational identity in all programs and related initiatives.
- Take a lead role in building a strong sales and management culture with the operations team; spend time coaching program managers, identifying skills and opportunities for program and personnel development; provide advice and guidance for all stakeholder issues when needed.
- Proactively manage and review the performance and progress of the Program Units to ensure alignment with the over strategic objectives and targets; works with Program Managers to develop specific delivery and training plans for every team.
- Maintain and constantly develop innovative and cost effective dashboards; monitor the dashboards weekly to achieve bottom line program delivery and budgets against monthly targets.
- Regularly produces and presents a range of financial/non financial reports for the CEO, Management Team and the Board as required.
- Strong process orientation combined with entrepreneurial skills.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals, setting the pace and meeting deadlines with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other key stakeholders.
- Keen analytic, organisation and problem solving skills which allows for strategic management of programs and staff.
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills with high attention to detail;
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Bilingual (English and Hindi) with expert level verbal and written communication skills, especially Hindi.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
Education & Experience
- 12-15 years of experience in social enterprise development of which at least 5 years should be in a leadership position, preferably in an established Social Enterprise.
- Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
- High degree of comfort in coordination with various stakeholders and in working at grassroots level.
- Track record of managing pan India program/projects.
- Proficiency in financial management.
- Prior experience of working with and supervising a diverse group from formally educated to semi-literate workers.
- Experience in training and capacity building of multi disciplinary teams.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary work ethics.
Barefoot College recognizes that the right candidate will have a significant impact on the success of the organisation and is prepared to offer an attractive compensation package for the non-profit sector, commensurate with experience.
The position will be based at Tilonia, with the opportunity to work remotely, if required