Deadline: 23:59 (IST), 15th April, 2020
Qualified candidates should send their CV along with a cover letter highlighting your suitability for the position to email@example.com. Please do mention the job code, BC-08-HSO in the subject line of your application. Any application received without the appropriate job code will not be considered. Given the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to all applicants and our responses are limited to those who are shortlisted. To download the full Job Description click here.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Head of Solar Programs will lead the production related operations of the Solar Division of Barefoot College. With years of goodwill and a well-developed market for products developed by women solar entrepreneurs, Barefoot College seeks an experienced professional to modernise and further expand the production of its Solar Enterprise across India and the Globe. The incumbent will be expected to streamline and upgrade the products and their marketing plans by infusing new knowledge into the Enterprise. The Head of Operations will lead all day-to-day operations and will develop a strategic plan to achieve the organisational objectives of training illiterate and semi literate women as Solar Engineers, make new and renewable technology accessible to the developing world through a partnership model of community engagement, to promote solar electrification and installation of solar plants. To engage in grassroots, R&D, product development and testing within all renewable technologies applicable to the rural poor. S/he will also work closely with the fundraising and marketing team to develop robust marketing plans to open up new markets for all products and will ensure that the capacity of women solar entrepreneurs is built in accordance with modern requirements. In addition, S/he will also partner with senior leadership, the Human Resources (HR) and Information Technology (IT) staff to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions into the functioning of the Enterprise.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the day to day Operations of the Solar Section of Barefoot College.
- Develop and implement strategies for production and marketing of goods produced.
- Develop, implement and review operational policies and procedures.
- Oversee budgeting, reporting, planning, and auditing.
- Ensure all legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations.
- Work with the CEO to determine values and mission, and plan for short and long-term goals.
- Support worker communication with the management team.
- Oversee expenses and budgeting to help the organization optimize costs and Benefits.
- Training: We train nearly 160 women every year which includes Indian and International trainees. Enable (capacity build, supervise and support) the training team to collaborate with the production team. Liaise with all sections providing support to the Training.
- Supervising Order Processing & Supply Chain: On an average, we ship 3500 Solar Systems in a year, this includes national and international shipments. Oversee the supply chain, production, packing and shipping of all solar products.
- Supervising R&D Efforts: Develop and monitor and initiatives to build new products for lighting, livelihoods and other community needs and also develop plans to improve design and efficiency of old products.
- Visiting project sites as and when required: We work through a network of partners in India. Visiting project sites to mentor and facilitate administration, logistic and human resource processes.
- Mentor and motivate teams to achieve productivity and engagement.
- Leverage strengths of the current team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximise and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Develop strategic plans to train and build capacity of staff at all levels.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team with foresight and ability to delegate accordingly.
- Keen analytic, organisation and problem solving skills which allows for strategic management of staff.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other key stakeholders.
- Bilingual (English and Hindi) with expert level verbal and written communication skills, especially Hindi.
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills with high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals, setting the pace and meeting deadlines with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
Education & Experience
- 8-10 years of experience in social enterprise development of which at least 3 years should be in a leadership position, preferably in an established Social Enterprise or in the Solar industry.
- Prior experience of working with and supervising a diverse group from formally educated to semi-literate workers and skilled artisans.
- Experience in training and capacity building of skilled artisans.
- Track record of implementing innovative ideas and schemes in day to day working;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- High degree of comfort with financial management, coordination with various stakeholders and in working at grassroots level.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary work ethics.
Barefoot College recognizes that the right candidate will have a significant impact on the success of the organisation and is prepared to offer an attractive compensation package for the non-profit sector, commensurate with experience.
The position will be based at Tilonia, with the opportunity to work remotely, if required.